Epping St John's - Graded Good by OfstedPosted: 14th June 2022
Young people in Epping are “getting the education they deserve” as our school is confirmed as Good by Ofsted.
Inspectors visited Epping St John’s Church of England School in April and have graded every area of the school – quality of education, behaviour and attitudes, personal development, leadership and management, and sixth form provision – as Good.
It is the first time the school has received the grading, having previously been classified as Requires Improvement in 2015 before it joined the BMAT family of schools.
During the visit, inspectors met with more than 500 students, the majority of staff, governors and the executive team, as well as surveying parents.
They also walked freely around the school, talking to students during their social times to get a complete picture of the provision and how the community feel about it.
Among the report, inspectors praised the “courageous, effective leadership” and “considerable improvements in the quality of education”.
It also highlights –
- The pastoral team provides pupils with appropriate support, including in dealing with mental health issues
- Leaders have put in place robust systems to ensure pupils are safe and cared for
- Pupils show positive attitudes to learning, especially in the impressive and growing sixth form
- Pupils, including those with special education needs and / or disabilities, learn an ambitious curriculum
- Leaders have designed programmes of study that broaden pupils’ horizons
Head of school Mike Yerosimou said: “It’s fair to say, no stone was left unturned! The inspection team were thorough and fair. Their job was to report accurately on the school they saw, and we feel they have done that.
“Raising expectations is not easy. But, it is right. And we will continue to strive for better for our students and the community we serve every single day. It is the least our students deserve.
“In all humility, we know this is just the beginning of our journey and that this school can continue to be so much better. Since the inspection, we have already started working on those areas for improvement.
“Epping St John’s is now officially a Good school. Epping has the educational provision it deserves.”